Before Santa even made it back to the North Pole, I started seeing them. They were little, big, red, pink. Some had flowers on them, some had cute puppies. And they were filled with chocolate. The message was out and the reminders were here. There's no excuse to forget when you're seeing stores filled with Valentine's Day gifts a full 2 months before the big day. But why buy an insignificant gift when you can put some thought into an entire experience? Here's 15 ways to up the romance factor during your Valentine's Day getaway:
1. Choose a historic city: Maybe it's the added mystery, but there's something about a historic city that immediately sets the romantic mood for a getaway.
2. Book a BNB. No, not an AirBNB. A Bed and Breakfast. These are classier than regular hotels and usually have some romantic elements built into your price. Plus, with room service and no kitchen, there won't be any need for cooking and cleaning on this trip.
3. Upgrade your Room. You may be able to score a complimentary upgrade if you're celebrating something special, or if you book with your favorite travel agent :) But if not, consider upgrading to the room with the stellar view.
4. Arrange some Room Decorations. Whether it's just a bouquet of flowers or you go all out with streamers, centerpieces, and banners, room decorations let her know you've given this some thought. Your BnB may be able to do this for you before you arrive, so check with the concierge.
5. Welcome her to your room with Strawberries and Champagne (or sparkling cider). Again, the BnB will most likely be able to arrange this for you, but you can always bring your own and set it up while she's admiring the view from the balcony.
6. Take a Carriage Ride. I'll admit, we've never done one of these. I've always wanted to, though, for the simple fact that it seems romantic. Don't forget a throw blanket in case it's a little airy, and see if you're allowed to bring some bubbly along for the ride.
7. Surprise Suitcase Gift. Grab a small gift and sneak it in her suitcase before you leave. Make sure it is TSA approved, though, so the surprise isn't ruined during a security check.
8. Couples Massage. Enjoy some time relaxing together.
9. Pack a Picnic to go. Grab your basket and head to the beach, park, or a quiet place on the property.
10. Pack an assortment of bath accessories in her favorite scent. Some ideas are bath bombs, salts, aromatherapy, floating candles, and rose petals.
11. Order room service and have breakfast in your suite.
12. How long has it been since you've had professional photos of just the 2 of you? Hire a photographer for a mini session.
13. Share dessert. You may want to do this as part of your dinner or as a standalone date one night.
14. Write her a handwritten love note. This will pair well with number 7 :)
15. Book a vow renewal package. Or, you can surprise her by repeating your vows at some point during the trip (walking on the beach, during your picnic, during the carriage ride, etc.)
16. BONUS TIP: Do something challenging or adventurous together. Take a cooking class, Conquer a tree top course, zoom on a Zip line--be creative with this one and pick something you will both enjoy. Anything where you will communicate, work as a team, or encourage each other. Bonus if it is something that neither of you have done before. This will foster closeness and you will create a bond over unique experiences and memories.
What are some ways you up the romance factor on your getaways?
Still haven't booked your Valentine's Weekend trip? I have some great ideas! Request a custom travel quote here.
Tales of a travel agent. Reviews, lists, and anything in between. *Opinions are my own and do not reflect the views of any travel companies mentioned. There may be affiliate links in these posts. If you use these links to make a purchase, I will receive a small commission.